Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Of cats and dogs..

Yes,the hype has long since died down and this is a fossilized topic of discussion. But I am still trying to figure out what was it that got Slumdog Millionaire the most coveted filmi awards in the planet.

I quite liked the movie when I'd watched it in January, but did not see anything exceptional worth remembering (Excepting the little boy Jamal) .I saw it again today-tried to see it 'in new light'. SIGH!! I did like the movie -but why don't I get the content 'what an awesome movie' feeling? And I am seething with indignation (not that it matters to anyone who really loved the movie , but still )

Agreed my lovely country has its fair share of poverty - but the slums,the underworld and the call centres arent the ONLY aspects that define India. And I am quite worried about the message this movie gives out (apart from the hope,underdog blah) to the world.I have experienced subtle racist incidents ,have heard derogatory remarks about India ( based on what some ignorant foreigner has derived from some news article/movies and the likes) and it breaks my heart that a movie which shows ONLY the underbelly of India/mumbai will make it to most homes across the world.I burn with rage when the dentist 'knows' that a simple ultrasonic dental cleaning tool is not available in poor,under-developed dirty India. Or when I read some righteous , pompous idiot telling us to ensure ' children don't drink out of gutters, eat at trash heaps, and suffer unimanagable abuse' .

And you know what makes it even worse? The knowledge that not a single scene in the movie is over-done or untrue or tries to wrongly depict the grimy side to the most glamorous Indian city. It is heart wrenching that we have children abused and underfed( and I am terribly ashamed that I have not done anything to help change this), but that is not the whole story. We also have one of the strongest primary education system in Asia, high intellectual capital ,a fast growing economy and a middle class population with all comforts a human being desires.

I really wish a more balanced movie would have made it to the oscars. I might seem shallow, but it does make me cringe when I know that some arbit ignorant foreigner (not all) thinks an Indian in America is a beggar seeking refuge - because you see, we saw it in the movie- your country is SO poor and So dirty.SIGH!!

Why is it that this movie had to make it so high up there? Especially when the story line is not too exceptional, the cinematography is decent but not awe-inspiring,the music is good -but knowing Rehman, how gifted he is and this is definitely not his best work-So why oh why?!! Have I missed out something which the whole world has easily spotted? Or is the hyper-if-the-elitist-love-it-then-so-do-I kind of chain reaction?

Dev Patel was the perfect fit for the role of Jamal, Frieda Pinto easily overshadowed by other actors , Irfan Khan with his understated,impressive presence was such a pleasure and the Kids- ahhhh the kids! Especially Ayush and Ismail as the young Jamal and Salim were adorable. As was Tanay Chheda (he was excellent in Tare Zameen par- not a one time shot, he definitely has talent)

And am SO happy for Rehman -finally he gets his due recognition worldwide.Though 'Jai ho' pales in comparison to his other extraordinarily super songs in the last decade. I wish Loveleen Tandon was given her due recognition for her casting too. Aaaaargh, and it is bledddyyyy so irritating to see Anil kapoor doing the super chance pe dance and thrusting his face into every camera available, in the most irritating manner. Resul makes you feel good in the 'hardworking , humble chap getting due respect for his talent' way.

And isnt it funny? The way we claim ownership depending on convenience? So instead of jumping out of joy for our music directors,technicians and actors being recognized worldwide for their superb job in a British movie, we go overboard claiming the whole movie is ours! But whoever takes credit, this movie is going to bring Indian talent into the global arena and this is definitely a good sign.

...And when they do, will people please get their names right?

No comments: